Related Results

18 May 2011

Ra Ra Riot Album Art

Ra Ra Riot
The Rhumb Line (2008)
1422px x 1449px / 1.45 MB

Ra Ra Riot
The Orchard (2010)
800px x 800px / 175 KB

Ra Ra Riot is an indie rock band from Syracuse, NY. I originally got into these guys after being introduced to Discovery this past fall season (a side project of Rostam Batmanglij, the keyboardist from Vampire Weekend, and Wes Miles, the vocalist from Ra Ra Rio), and I really enjoy their music (which is quite unlike Discovery).

I like the cover for Rhumb Line (as I've mentioned before, I'm a sucker for simplicity), but I'm not super thrilled about the use of the two rather similar shades of blue. Also, I'm not sure what the Venn diagram on the cover is supposed to mean. The yellow section makes me think of the Sun, and certainly contrasts the dark blue, so maybe these simply represent light and dark, or maybe Good and Evil? Either way, the sketch of the Earth (showing North and South America), is right in the middle, and is certainly the place where we all experience light and darkness, Good and Evil. Anyone else have any insight on Rhumb Line?

The cover for The Orchard is just a simple scene, but I also really enjoy that album art. The photograph is a lovely depiction of a peaceful middle America: a nice home with a lawn, a full and lush tree, and a pristine nighttime sky with a few wispy clouds. The abundance of light spilling from the house makes me feel like there is love in that home, and makes me feel like the band (or whoever picked the artwork, at least) appreciates the warmth of family and fellowship.

A long one today, eh! Anyways, what do you folks think about Ra Ra Riot?

18 comments:

  1. Never heard them, sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice artwork, I never heard of the band but I'll check the out :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. going in to my youtube favorites

    ReplyDelete
  4. That artwork alone made me wet my undies a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard them before but their album art is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've never heard of them, they look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet, i've always enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the 2nd cover! Very haunted house-y.

    ReplyDelete
  9. both those covers are really nice

    ReplyDelete
  10. On Rhumb Line, they are obviously implying that the Earth shall one day be the Death Star powered by two suns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good tunes, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the second album, especially the way they captured the lights of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first cover reminds me of 70s educational pamphlets

    ReplyDelete